Data Migration Assistant (DMA) enables you to upgrade to a modern data platform by detecting compatibility issues that can impact database functionality on your new version of SQL Server. It recommends performance and reliability improvements for your target environment. It allows you to not only move your schema and data, but also uncontained objects from your source server to your target server.
Here’s the download link
What is new in V3.3?
- DMA v3.3 enables migration of an on-premises SQL Server instance to SQL Server 2017, on both Windows and Linux.
- Migration blocking issues: DMA discovers the compatibility issues that block migrating on-prem SQL Server database(s)s to Azure SQL Database(s). It then provides recommendations to help customers remediate those issues.
- Partially or unsupported features: DMA detects partially or unsupported features that are currently in use at the source SQL Server. It then provides comprehensive set of recommendations, alternative approaches available in Azure and mitigating steps so that customers can plan ahead this effort into their migration projects.
- Discovery of issues that can affect an upgrade to an on-premises SQL Server. These are described as compatibility issues categorized under these areas:
- Breaking changes
- Behavior changes
- Deprecated features
- Discover new features in the target SQL Server platform that the database can benefit from after an upgrade. These are described as feature recommendations and are categorized under these areas:
Supported source and target versions
- Source: SQL Server 2005, SQL Server 2008, SQL Server 2008 R2, SQL Server 2012, SQL Server 2014, and SQL Server 2016
- Target: SQL Server 2012, SQL Server 2014, SQL Server 2016, SQL Server 2017, and Azure SQL Database